crux: 1) a puzzling or
difficult problem : an unsolved question (Merriam-Webster)
Does that describe what it's like to obtain useful information
from your database?
DynaCRUX (Dynamically Create Reports
Using XML) is a web-based report generator
for databases. It is designed to be not only independent of browsers, but
also of database technology. Thus, it can provide you, your management team,
and your customers with a flexible facility for producing customized
DynaCRUX can also get you an answer quickly without having to write
complicated SQL queries. Just tell it what you want to know and specify the
conditions using a simple Graphical User Interface and it will generate and
run the queries for you.
DynaCRUX includes a number of useful features:
- A report definition can be stored in the database itself and
retrieved at run time, so it does not need to be specified at every
- You can define and run an Instant Report, without
saving it, if it is a one-time requirement.
- Every run of a report can be somewhat different, so there
are run time controls that collect specific information about
each run (e.g., a date range) that can be used in selecting the
- There is grouping and sorting capability, as well
as specifying which fields to include.
- While the retrieval provides the "data answers" to the user's
question, presentation options make the data easier to
understand. You can provide your own CSS files so DynaCRUX can be
seamlessly added to your own web application.
- For fields that are not actually in any database table, it
is possible to define "macros" that allow such data to be
obtained by synthesis, subqueries, or whatever technique is needed.
- You can define standard filters, which are referenced by name to prevent SQL injection attacks.
- The entire system is template-driven, so that client and
server code remains synchronized as the database changes.
- Report data can be easily exported to a spreadsheet for further
DynaCRUX includes several applications that take much of the work out of
setting up models of your database and defining reports. You can even let
your users design and run their own reports, freeing up your IT staff
for other projects. Of course, you can easily restrict what a group of users
is allowed to look at for security purposes.
- The Template Builder application lets you
interactively create a definition of your database that is then used in
creating reports. You can create different templates for classes of
database users (e.g., customers vs. management).
- The Schema Analyzer helps you take most of the work
out of creating a model of your database.
- There is a user-friendly Report Builder
application for defining, running, and editing reports.
If you need more specific information, you can learn more about DynaCRUX
by reading the User Guide.